Purchasing a piece of original art for your home can be challenging at times. How do you know what will look good or would be a good investment? Here are some ways to help make the decision even easier!
1. Explore the art world - get out and discover the vast variety of creative art available locally. You’ll be amazed at the variety of styles, mediums and sizes available. Utilize The Art Map to discover where art can be found in your community.
2. Set a budget - determine a price range that works for your lifestyle and your wallet before you begin shopping. Be sure to consider this before you begin your search!
3. Determine size and location - have an idea of where you would like to place the piece of art in your home. Scale is often forgotten when searching for a unique piece. You’ll be disappointed to find out after the fact that the amazing sculpture won’t fit in the location you had envisioned.
4. Define what speaks to you- figure out the style of art that you like. This is often an initial gut response when you first view a work of art. Don’t force yourself to like everything.
5. Try before you buy - most galleries will actually let you take a work out on loan to try it in your home prior to making a decision. This is a perfect opportunity to see how it works with the light in your home and with the location you have in mind.
6. Buy what you love - most importantly buy art that you love, not what matches your couch. This will be the best return on investment for years to come.
by Erin, our guest blogger.